Outages and Emergencies

If you are concerned that a significant incident or fault poses a risk to life or property, call 000 now.

If there's an electrical outage or fault in your area, you'll need to contact your energy distributor. They’re responsible for the supply of energy to your property – that is, the poles and wires, gas pipes, and connections.

Distributors are different depending on your area. You can locate your distributor’s contact details on the top right corner of your LPE bill, next to ‘Faults and Emergencies’.

Below, you’ll see  a list of electricity Distribution Network Service Providers and their contact numbers and links to their help pages. If you are still unsure, please visit the Australian Energy Regulator website: www.aer.gov.au/consumers/who-is-my-distributor.


Energex (South East Queensland)  

Phone: 13 62 62 

Website: www.energex.com.au/home/power-outages

Ergon (all areas outside South East Queensland)

Phone: 13 22 96

Website: www.ergon.com.au/network/outages-and-disruptions


Essential Energy 

Phone: 13 20 80 

Website: www.essentialenergy.com.au/outages-and-faults/power-outages


Phone: 13 13 88

Website: www.ausgrid.com.au/Outages/Power-outages


Phone: 13 10 03

Website - power outages information: www.endeavourenergy.com.au